Mobile and Responsive Websites
What Is a Mobile and Responsive Website and Why Do I Need It?
Responsive website design is an approach to website design where a site is designed and built to fit comfortably on devices of any screen size.
This latest developmental approach to website design aims to solve the problem of how to get a single site design to fit on all the different screen sizes of various mobile devices that are now becoming the primary method of accessing the Web.
Benefits of Responsive Website Design
- Less expensive to produce and maintain than separate websites for desktop, tablets, and phones
- A better user experience means happier customers and clients
- Search Engines rank responsive sites higher, Google even says so: Read About It
Some Things to Consider
- 56% of American adults have a smartphone
- 34% of American adults own a tablet computer
- 30% have used their phone to decide whether to visit a business, such as a restaurant, in the past 30 days.
- 35% have used their phones to solve an unexpected problem that they or someone else had encountered, in the past 30 days.
- 25% of people in the US access the Internet with only their mobile device.
- Of people who react to seeing a mobile ad:
- 42% click on the mobile ad
- 35% visit the advertiser’s site
- 32% search for more information on their phone
- 49% make a purchase
- 27% call the business
More About Mobile and Responsive Website Design
Gone are the days where users only access the Web from a desktop computer. Only a few years ago, designers could plan on that so websites were built to suit those larger desktop monitors. This often resulted in websites of a fixed width, which is fine on a desktop computer monitor, but often presents a poor user experience on new devices such as tablets and smart phones.
Now, with the increased usage of mobile devices, and all the different screen sizes of those devices, our team has taken the approach of responsive design to provide a better user experience.
Sure, having a separate mobile site is an option, but often a costly one that most businesses just can’t afford. Or just don’t think it’s worth the cost. Responsive website design helps to provide the best user experience for your website’s visitors at the lowest cost.
- Pew Internet & American Life Project: Pew Internet: Mobile, Joanna Brenner, Jun 6, 2013. <http://pewinternet.org/Commentary/2012/February/Pew-Internet-Mobile.aspx>
- MobiThinking: Global mobile statistics 2013: Mobile-only Web users, May 2013. <http://mobithinking.com/mobile-marketing-tools/latest-mobile-stats/b#mobile-only>
- MobiThinking: Global mobile statistics 2013: Why advertisers need a mobile-friendly site, May 2013. <http://mobithinking.com/mobile-marketing-tools/latest-mobile-stats/c#why-mobile-web>